Thursday, February 3, 2011

Rabbit New Year

Its a long time since I've been able to celebrate Chinese New Year in Malaysia. 5 years to be exact. And despite the gatherings I have had overseas with friends to usher in the new year, nothing beats being back home with family over food and talk.


The opportunity to meet up with my uncles, aunties, cousins, my niece and nephews is an occasion to be savored. An atmosphere where you are surrounded by the ones that you can count on to be there for you no matter what. And of course, the delight of feasting on a variety of meats and dishes! :)


I must admit im blessed to have great uncles who are especially good with a grill, and whom also have a tendency to purchase "Cream" rum flavored beverages. And of course, the taste of rum is 10 times stronger than any rum flavored ice cream you can get. This coupled with BBQ chicken, salads, steaks, beef, and banana layered cake just made me wish Chinese New Year would never end.

I also finally had the chance to participate in a "Yee Sang", a cultural procedure for Chinese New Year. It's something that I've seen many times on TV and chinese drama shows, but an event that I've strangely missed out on all this while.

The idea is that you have a batch of ingredients compromised of various salty/sour veges, add in peanut powders, crackers, SASHIMI *I cant imagine EVERY family throwing in bits of sashimi though*, pour in some sweet sauces, then, on the count of 3, the whole family sticks their chopsticks in at the same time and STIRS, all while wishing everyone the best of luck in their future endeavors and love life.

Still, amidst all the savoring of food and drinks, the thing that surprises me the most is the growth of my niece and nephews. 5 years is long time to miss out on meeting your relatives, and if they are still babies the last time you saw them , you better EXPECT extraordinary growth rates.

Ryan's understanding of RPG games at his age (6) is just astounding. No way i was as good as him at his age. Probably nowhere as good as him even right now. @@

Andrea, 8, has grown into an extremely photogenic girl, posing at will whenever a camera turns her way. I expect her to be quite the showstopper in 15 years time ;)

I'm still not used to being called Uncle. I rather they called me "Koko". We're not really that different in age are we??? *beats self in denial*~~

But of course, Chinese New Year is always going to be about the "Ang Pows" for us "youngsters" *again, living in denial*.

No matter the amount received from "Ang Pows", the general message of CNY is the spirit of giving , of knowing that family is there to care for you (and to provide more ang pows so long as you're not married) and to share moments together. And this, I hope to experience for the years to come now that I will be remaining in Malaysia for the foreseeable moment.

Happy Rabbit New Year everyone!

2 comments:

Ray said...

cool.. a lot of festive colors!
oh, I thought that dish where everyone stirs the dish is called 'yee sang', and lok lok is like those sticks of fishballs and you dip them in hot water, hahah

Justin YSS said...

Omg~ hahahahha~ yes now u mention it, its DEFINITELY not lok lok! @@ *hastens to edit again*

Post a Comment